Inside This Post: Fighting a cold & want to speed up recovery, boost your immune system or remove toxins & metals from your body? A weekly detox bath will do it all.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can see my disclosure policy here.
Detox Bath: A Natural Way to Boost Your Immune System & Rid Your Body of Toxic Chemicals and Metals
In 2017 I ditched typical store-bought cleaning, haircare and skin products and switched entirely to plant-based and non-toxic products.
This is also the time when I discovered how helpful the natural healing properties of a detox bath can be, including these benefits:
- help fight off colds,
- speed up recovery if one of us is under the weather,
- clears toxins from your system,
- detox the of toxic metals that accumulate from environment and food
- improves circulation
- sleep better
TheHealing Properties of Magnesium
Magnesium, which is the key property of a detox bath, keeps your immune system healthy, clears toxins from your system which accumulate from your environment and food, improves circulation and helps you relax.
Weekly detox baths not only relieve the body from harmful chemicals and heavy metals, but also provide rich minerals such as magnesium which helps to:
- Improve immune function
- Promote better sleep habits
- Relax the body, including the nervous system and muscles
- Reduce inflammation
- Regulate enzyme activity
- Improve the body’s natural absorption of nutrients
- Natural healing of bruises and bumps
- Remove metals from the body
What Toxins Do You Need to Detox From
Everyday we’re exposed to hundreds of toxics from household products, our air, pollution and processed foods.
These toxics burden our bodies and impair our body’s ability to function properly, as our internal systems naturally would if it were free from toxins.
Toxins are chemicals or poisons which have a harmful effect on the body’s organs to function properly. Everyone is exposed to hundreds of toxins through what we eat, touch, smell and breathe.
All day long, your body works hard to filter these toxins through your blood, skin, lungs, kidneys and liver.
In the liver, toxins accumulate and then exit the body (through the bathroom), but when your body is overloaded with environmental toxins, they begin to impede the body’s ability to function optimally. Toxins suppress the immune system, it allows space for disease and illness to build and for the body to break down.
Spotting the Signs of Toxin Overload in Kids & Adults
Your body is a machine but like most machines, it requires maintenance and cleanings, but your body has it’s own natural filtration process.
Your body stores toxins in the liver, brain cells, nerves, fat cells and blood stream all which work together to eliminate outside invaders from the body.
When the body is overburdened with toxins, it can show up in several ways:
- Flu-like symptoms
- Increase in frequency of illness
- Feeling sluggish and fatigued
- Trouble sleeping (insomnia may be a sign of liver overload)
- Muscle and joint pain
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Allergic Reactions (hives, rash, irritation)
- Sneezing and coughing
When I learned all the signs of toxin overload, I began to look at symptoms in my children from a new perspective and that’s when I started to plan for a detox bath every Sunday to end the week and start fresh on Monday.
I began to use a detox bath to help comfort and relieve them of these side effects of toxin overload.
Frequency of Taking a Detox Bath
For adults and children, detox baths should only be taken once a week.
I like to take a detox bath right before bed, because after I get out of the tub, I find my body is extremely tired and I can fall quickly to sleep. Then, the next day I’m ready to jump out of bed and always notice an increase to my energy.
I find a detox bath is one of my most favorite ways to help my kids kick a cold quickly, keep them healthy and remove toxins from their body.
Detox Bath Supplies to Have on Hand:
- Epsom Salts or Magnesium Flakes (which are more easily absorbed by the skin and the 4lb container works for 5 people for an entire month.)
- Baking Soda or Vitamin C Powder
- Essential Oils of Your Choice and For Desired Outcome (see essential oils recipes below, but I personally love Lavender in the bath)
- Coconut Oil for Diluting Oils for Children, If You Require
How to Draw a Detox Bath
Detox Baths are relaxing and soothing and help draw the toxins out from the skin to ease the toxin burden on your body.
- FOR CHILDREN: Use 1/2 cup of Epsom Salts, and combined with 2 tablespoons baking soda (to clean unfiltered water and help aid in the elimination of toxins.)
- You can also add 2 tablespoons Vitamin C Powder in place of the baking soda and this is what I use to remove chlorine from the water before I draw a bath.
- FOR ADULTS & CHILDREN OVER 60LBs: Use 1 cup Epsom Salt, and combine with 3-4 tablespoons of baking soda. You can also add 2 tablespoons Vitamin C Powder in place of the baking soda.
- Let the bath tub fill and add your ingredients, stirring until the salts dissolve completely.
- Enjoy a 15-20 minute bath however, do not use any of your bath products or soaps while in a detox bath because you’re reintroducing those toxins and offsetting the balance of the bath.
- Afterwards, be sure to drink lots of water to continue to help flush toxins out and because you’ll be slightly dehydrated from the bath and magnesium.
- You can use a detox bath once a week for children, or every few days if they’re fighting off a cold or flu-like symptoms.
Note about detox baths with kids: For kids, if the water with salts and magnesium gets splashed in eyes, it can burn slightly like ocean salt water does. It’s not bad, but kids notice the slight sting from the saltiness. A calm and gentle bath is best for kids taking a detox bath to avoid getting it in their eyes.
Adding Essential Oils to a Detox Bath
But First… My Thoughts on Essential Oils Companies:
I have tried Young Living and Doterra, but can safely say I only recommend Plant Therapy because I have found they are the most transparent essential oil company available as well as being the only company to use third-party laboratories to test the quality of their oils, and I commend them for that. Moreover, they publish the tests online, allowing everyone to see the results, unlike other companies who may or may not test, yet don’t publish results. Their oils are chemical free and tested before offered to the consumers
I find that MLM companies such as Young Living and Doterra lack scientific research and testing, transparency and are much more expensive than Plant Therapy.
- Relaxation & Aid with Sleep: Add 3-4 drops Lavender Essential Oil to bath water along with the 1/2 cup Epsom Salt
- Boost Your Immune System: Add 3-4 drops Lemon Essential Oil to bath water along with the 1/2 cup Epsom Salt
- Fight Those Cold and Flu-like Symptoms: Add 2 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil to bath water along with the 1/2 cup Epsom Salt
- Kids are Experiencing Growing Pains: Add 2 drops Marjorm Essential Oil to bath water along with the 1/2 cup Epsom Salt
- If You’re Battling Constipation: Add 2 drops Digestion Essential Oil to bath water along with the 1/2 cup Epsom Salt
A Few Notes…
- Add vitamin c powder or baking soda to your water if your water isn’t filtered. Bath water contains chlorine and other chemicals, and adding baking soda alkalizes the water and neutralizes chlorine. I prefer vitamin c powder to remove the chlorine from the bath water all together.
- When I mention essential oils, I am referring to quality, therapeutic-grade oils. I’m not talking about using diluted and watered down oils which is why I recommend DoTerra and Young Living grade oils.
- It’s important to dilute essential oils according to instructions and not use any “hot” essential oils like cinnamon in a warm bath because it can burn the skin and cause serious irritation.
To gain a full understanding of what harsh toxins are lurking in your home and what happens when you breathe, eat, touch or smell them, Download Your Free Starter Guide to Environmental Toxins Hiding in Your Home